Home < Degrees < Social Work < Social Work Criteria for Satisfactory Progress
SOCIAL WORK Criteria for Satisfactory Progress
To make progress toward a graduate degree, students must meet the Graduate School requirements in addition to the requirements of the department or program. See Graduate School degree requirements.
Overall GPA
Follow Graduate School policy
Other Grade Requirements
Grades of C are accepted only if they are offset by an equal number of credits of A. Candidates who receive more than two grades of C or grades of D or F will be dropped from the program. Candidates who receive a grade of C in the Field and Integrative Seminar courses may continue only with permission of the faculty and may not offset the grade with a grade of A. (The above policies do not apply to grades received for courses taken to meet the statistics prerequisite taken while in the program.)
Probation Policy
Follow Graduate School policy
Specific Courses
  • First-year students complete generalist practice courses: SW 400, 401, 440, 441, 442, 605, 606, 640, 650, and 711, unless granted an exemption. In general, generalist practice courses must be completed before beginning advanced practice concentration courses.
  • Second-year students must complete a macro practice course; a concentration advanced practice course; a concentration policies and services course; one concentration elective course; SW 800 and 801 in a concentration area; and two electives.
Contact the school for a complete list of required courses.
Specific Credits
Other Assessments / Time Constraints
Yes / Yes
Full-time students matriculating through the full-time program must enroll for a minimum of two courses each semester and complete one full-time semester of at least 8 credits. Candidates who withdraw from the full-time program without having completed at least 8 credits must reapply for admission to the program. Students who withdraw from the part-time program without having completing at least 6 credits must reapply for admission to the program.
Language Requirements
All master's candidates are assigned to the social work academic advisors.
Review Policy
Follow Graduate School policy