To: Chairs, Departments in the Arts and Humanities and Social Sciences
From: Lea Jacobs, Associate Dean, Graduate School
Date: May 7, 2013
Subject: 2014 NEH Summer Stipend
Applications are due for internal review at 4:30 pm, Wednesday, September 11, 2013.
The NEH defines the term humanities as including, but not limited to, "the study of the following: language, both modern and classical; linguistics; literature; history; jurisprudence; philosophy; archaeology; comparative religion; ethics; the history, theory and criticism of the arts; those aspects of social sciences which have humanistic content and employ humanistic methods; and the study and application of the humanities to the human environment with particular attention to reflecting our diverse heritage, traditions, and history and to the relevance of the humanities to the current conditions of national life." The field of the project determines the eligibility for a stipend, not the field of the applicant.
Stipends from NEH, at $3,000 per month, must be used for two consecutive months of full time summer study or research. Thanks to the generous participation of WARF and the Graduate School Research Committees, UW-Madison institutional nominees who are eligible for Research Committee support will receive insurance/supplementation up to 2/9ths of their present academic year salaries. All nominees are encouraged to submit an application to the Fall Research Competition.
UW-Madison may submit two proposals. The Graduate School will convene a subcommittee of the Graduate School Research Committee to review the proposals internally and select the projects to be forwarded to NEH.
This contains additional information on the program and specific application instructions, etc.
1. Prepare applications in 12-point font, single-spaced. There is no limit on the number of nominations that can be received from a department.
2. Include the following sections in the candidate’s application for the internal review. Please note that a letter of nomination from the department chair is not needed for this competition.
* RESUME (not to exceed two single-spaced pages)
Current & Past Positions
Awards & Honors
Other Relevant Professional Activities & Accomplishments
* NARRATIVE (three single-spaced pages)
Research & Contribution
Methods and Work Plan
Competencies, Skills and Access
Final Product and Dissemination
* A BIBLIOGRAPHY (not to exceed one single-spaced page)
* A LIST OF THE NAMES AND TITLES OF TWO PEOPLE WHO ARE WILLING TO WRITE REFERENCE LETTERS. (We suggest that applicants do not ask referees for letters until the selection committee has completed its work.)
3. Save application as a pdf file.
4. Submit the application as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:30 pm, Wednesday, September 11, 2013 with "NEH-applicant’s name" in the subject line of the email message.
For the candidates selected, the complete proposal must be submitted using Grants.gov as an individual. The NEH deadline is Thursday, September 26.
If you have any questions about this procedure, please contact Nick Novak (608) 265-4868 or email email@example.com