To: Chairs, Departments in the Biological and Physical Sciences
From: Heather Daniels, Graduate School
Date: May 22, 2013
Subject: Pew Scholars Program in the Biomedical Sciences
Deadline for internal competition is Monday, June 10, 2013
The program supports young investigators of outstanding promise relevant to the advancement of human health. Clinically-oriented and basic research scientists are welcome to apply. The award provides $60,000 annually for a period of four years.
- Nominess must have been awarded a doctorate in biomedical sciences or medicine.
- Nominees must be full-time assistant professors at the University of Wisconsin-Madison as of November 1, 2013.
- Nominees must not have been in such an appointment for more than three years, whether or not such appointments were on a tenure track as of July 1, 2013. Time spent in clinical internships, residencies, or in work toward board certification does not count as part of this three-year limit.
- Applicants with committed awards that overlap for the first two years of the Pew Scholars Program from the Searle Scholars Program, Rita Allen Foundation Scholars, Burroughs Wellcome Fund Career Award for Medical Scientists, Beckman Young Investigator Program, Ellison New Scholar Award, W.M. Keck Foundation, Damon Runyon-Rachleff Innovation Award, and the Kimmel Scholar Award are not eligible.
- UW-Madison may nominate one candidate. Each department is limited to nominating one candidate.
This contains additional information on the program and specific application instructions, etc.
Internal Competition Application Instructions:
Applications for internal competition: Send your pdf application for internal competition to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line "Pew-applicant’s last name " by Monday, June 10, 2013. Your application for the internal competition should include the following information:
- Cover sheet that includes the applicant’s departmental affiliation, full contact information, the applicant’s appointment begin date, and visa status.
- Abbreviated CV or Biosketch including publications and current/pending support (3 pp. maximum)
- Most significant research to date (1 p. maximum)
- General research description and statement of research goals (3-4 pp.)
- Letter of support from the department chair
- One external letter of support (from thesis or postdoc adviser or other recommender) is strongly encouraged.
**Please note that this application package can also be used for the Fall INIC Competition.
For the project selected, a notice will be submitted on behalf of the applicant by Monday, July 15. The online application will be available starting August 1 with an application deadline of November 1, 2013.
E-mail email@example.com or call Heather Daniels (263-7274)