Ellen LeClere

PhD candidate, Library and Information Studies

Faculty advisor: Alan Rubel

Ellen Le ClereEllen is a PhD candidate in the Information School investigating the ethical issues surrounding large-scale digitization of Civil Rights Movement-era materials by archivists.

“Digitization projects are rapidly becoming the standard for access among cultural heritage institutions, but the work is relatively understudied in terms of how it conflicts with archival subjects’ expectations of privacy,” she explains. Her article on how archivists manage privacy in large-scale digitization projects is published in Archives and Manuscripts.

Ellen received the Mellon-Wisconsin Fellowship in 2019. She plans to use the award to leverage additional departmental funding and Holtz Center funding to attend international conferences, in addition to using the support to complete her dissertation.

“This award comes at a critical time in my dissertation research, and gives me the confidence and support I need to complete my research and writing in a timely manner,” LeClere says. “I cannot express how much receiving this award means to me, and how much it will help in in my research endeavors.”