Academic Policies and Procedures
Appendix 4 - Grade-Point Average Calculation
- To calculate graduate GPA:
- Refer to the grading system table in Appendix 3 above to find the grade-point value of each letter grade on your transcript.
- Multiply the grade-point value by the number of credits for the course. For example, a three (3) credit AB would be calculated as:
3.5 grade-points for an AB × 3 credits 10.5 grade-points
- Continue this calculation for every course numbered 300 and above that you took as a graduate student. Do include independent study courses and seminars. Do not include research courses; each department determines course numbers for their research courses. Do not include courses taken as a University Special student. Add the total number of grade points earned and the total number of credits earned.
- Divide the total number of grade points by the total number of credits.
215 grade-points ÷ 60 credits 3.58 GPA
- This final figure is your graduate GPA.
The UW-Madison Cross College Advising Service GPA Calculator may be a useful tool.