Academic Policies and Procedures

Extension Courses

A student paying full-time tuition and fees at the UW-Madison campus may ask to take courses at UW-Extension for no additional cost (if the total credit load does not exceed the maximum allowable credit load). A student’s faculty advisor must submit a completed UW-Madison Tuition Waiver Request Form, along with a letter of endorsement to the Graduate School. If the Graduate School approves, the student may take the course without paying additional fees. Courses completed at UW-Extension do not fulfill the Graduate School’s minimum graduate residence, degree, or coursework credit requirements and will not appear on the student's UW-Madison transcript. Dissertators are not allowed to request a tuition waiver while remaining eligible for the dissertator fee status, they would need to request to be removed from dissertator status, enroll full-time and pay fees at the regular graduate student fee rate.

See Dissertator Status, Enrollment Requirements, Overloads

Feedback, questions or accessibility issues:
© 2018 Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System