Frequently Asked Questions

Application Changes and Fees

The application fee is $75.00 U.S. It is non-refundable and can be paid by credit card (MasterCard or Visa), Debit/ATM. In addition, non US citizens will be charged a $6.00 international document processing fee. Both fees will be processed during the submission of your application.

The Graduate School offers a limited number of application fee grants. Fee grants are directed to 1) applicants who have participated in pipeline programs specifically designed to prepare students for graduate studies, or 2) applicants who have grown up in a low-income family. For more detailed information, please see Application Fee Waivers (Grants).

No. The application fee is non-refundable.

You must fill out a new application and pay a new fee. You can contact admissions at with any questions.

Log into the MyUW portal. Enter your NetID and password (use the links underneath NetID and password if help is needed.) Click on the “Student Center” link. Click on the information you would like to change, and then edit. For assistance contact our Division of Information Technology (DoIT) at
Also, please make your academic program aware of the change.

You can change the term you wish to apply for by submitting a new application and fee.

Application deadlines vary from program to program. Before starting your application, it is very important to check the deadlines on your academic program’s page.

Yes, you can apply to three programs on with one application and one fee.

Not for the same term. If you create another application, it will not be processed. Only the first submission will be processed. If you have any questions or encounter any problems with your application, please contact

Checking your Application Status

The link to set up your MyUW account and net ID is sent automatically after you submit your application. The submission process is an overnight process, so expect your email within 24 hours. It is very important that you set up your MyUW account to check your application status. If you do not receive this link, please contact

If your application account is locked, please email for assistance.  Please give your full name, and application ID number.

If you are having difficulty with your NetID and login in the MyUW portal, this requires technical assistance.  You must contact the Division of Information Technology (DoIT).  You should begin by calling 608-264-4357 or sending an email to  Have your 10-digit campus number ready.

The program receives all of your materials and updates your status page. Contact your program directly.  You can find the specific program contact information by drilling down at the academic programs page.

Scores are typically sent from ETS to UW-Madison electronically within two to three weeks.  UW-Madison then uploads them.  The total process can take up to 60 days to complete. 

If you did not use the same demographic information for both the application and test, they will not match up.  It is possible that the name is backwards or the birthdate is incorrect.  Contact your program for assistance.

International Students/ ESL/ English Proficiency

We can begin processing with photocopies if they are legible with appropriate stamp(s)/signature(s) of a school official.

We require that an official final transcript, which includes the bachelor degree (or equivalent) and date conferred, be received by the end of the third week of classes.

When you arrive on the UW-Madison campus, go to the International Credential Evaluators office, Room 228 Bascom Hall . Please bring the required documents with you. We will make copies here and return the originals to you.

When you were admitted to the UW-Madison Graduate School, some academic documents were missing. The “hold” prevents future enrollment but will not affect the term you were admitted. To remove this hold, you must present the documents that were requested in your online status check.

Any admitted student whose score is lower than the scores listed below will be required, by the Graduate School, to take the English as a Second Language Assessment Test upon arrival at UW-Madison.

TOEFL: 92 for internet based test (IBT) and 580 for paper test

Depending on your test result you may be required to register for an English as a Second Language (ESL) courses in the first semester you are enrolled. Note: Academic Programs may ask any admitted graduate applicant to take the English Placement test and ESL course after he/she arrives if English proficiency is in doubt.
For more information on English proficiency test requirements, click here.

No. Enrollment in the English as a Second Language program (ESL) does not ensure admission to a graduate program at UW-Madison. You will not be able to register for courses outside the ESL curriculum during your enrollment in ESL.

If you are not a native English speaker, or your undergraduate institution’s language of instruction is not English, an English proficiency test (TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB) is required. All electronic test scores from ETS (TOEFL and GRE) should be sent to institution code 1846.

In order for an I-20 or DS-2019 to be printed, the SEVIS system requires that you list a permanent address in your home country. It must be a residence address. No post office box numbers are allowed.

UW-Madison does not offer conditional admission. All students must apply at grad.wisc.ed. Check the Graduate School’s website for information regarding TOEFL/admission requirements, and the program’s website for specific requirements.

Financial Aid/ Financial Documents/ Tuition Costs

Programs are a main source for funding. Fill out the “additional funding” section of the online application. If you are interested in a Fellowship, Project/Program, Research, or Teaching Assistantship, contact your academic program.

Financial Aid: Loans and Work Study are available to U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Check the loans/work study box in the application information section to receive information from the UW-Madison Office of Student Financial Aid.

Tuition rates for the current term are located on the Registrar’s website at Tuition costs for future terms may not be available.

Do not send any financial documentation until requested to do so by the Graduate School. The request will be made on your online status page when your academic records are approved.

Letters of Recommendation

All letters of recommendation are submitted electronically through the admission application.

You may send the request to your recommenders at any time during the application process. The recommendation section of the application remains accessible after you submit your application.

The applicant has control of when each recommender receives the request. Be sure the email address for each recommender is correct. If you are applying to multiple programs, be sure to check the box for all of the program(s) you want the recommender to respond to. Check the box that requests an email be sent, located at the bottom of each person’s section, then save the page. Your recommender will receive an email that contains the program(s) specific recommendation form. After you save your work, please allow 24 hours for the recommender to receive the message.

If your recommenders send their recommendations before you submit your application, they will be stored in our database. Once you submit your application, they will be matched up and made available to your program.

To send another request to your recommender, you should go back into the recommendations section of your application and check the “send reminder” box for the one that has not submitted. Please be sure to save your changes. An email should be sent within 24 hours. You should contact your recommender to let them know to watch for the new message to arrive.

Contact your academic program to inquire if this method is acceptable.

This is at the program’s discretion. Please contact your academic program directly.


Refer to Requirements page.

Your program may choose to consider your application if you have less than a 3.0 GPA on the last 60 credit hours of your bachelor’s degree. Contact your program directly.

Final Steps:  Accepting or Declining Enrollment

Contact your academic program.

Newly admitted graduate applicants will receive an invitation to enroll email from Enrollment Services approximately six weeks prior to the start of classes.

Check the Academic Calendar.

Feedback, questions or accessibility issues:
© 2018 Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System