Previously Enrolled Graduate Students

Tehshik Yoon (center), associate professor of chemistry, holds a discussion with graduate research assistant Travis Blum (right) and research associate Dani Schultz (left)

If you were previously enrolled as a graduate student at UW-Madison but have had a break in enrollment for at least one fall or spring semester, you will need to apply to resume your studies.

  1. You must complete a NEW online application for admission. If you are applying for readmission to your previous program you may not need new recommendations or statement of purpose, but you should check with your program. All materials are required if you are applying to a new program.
  2. All reentry applicants must pay the $75.00 application fee for each application, plus the $6.00 processing fee if you are an international applicant. This is regardless of the last time you were enrolled.
  3. Submit the online application at least six weeks prior to the start of your intended semester.
  4. After you submit your application, the program will review your records including your application.
  5. If you have attended any other colleges or universities since your last enrollment, you must list those institutions and submit official transcripts to your program.
  6. You may be required to pay a Degree Completion Fee. Please see the Academic Policies and Procedures for more information.
  7. Contact your intended program regarding deadlines and additional admission requirements.
  8. The program will approve or deny your request for reentry by making a recommendation to the Graduate School. The Graduate School makes the official offer of admission; read more information on the shared admission process page.
  9. To reapply click here.

If you have not maintained continuous enrollment, you must submit an online application and pay the application fee.

Master’s Degree students

If you are applying to resume your studies after five years to complete a degree that was in progress, you must fulfill the Graduate School’s minimum credit requirement. Credits earned while previously enrolled are not counted toward this requirement.

Ph.D. students

If you did not take the final oral examination within five years after passing the preliminary examination, you must take another preliminary examination to be awarded dissertator status.

Appeals to Time Limit Policy (after five years)

Your program may submit a written request to the Graduate School’s Office of Admissions and Academic Services if they believe an appeal is appropriate. An appeal provides information demonstrating that you have remained current in your field of study, e.g. a resume showing applicable work experience in your field of study and/or official transcripts from other schools attended. At the time of admission, your program should recommend to the Graduate School which credits, if any, should be counted toward the Graduate School Minimum Credit Requirement for work done more than five years ago.

All Incompletes must be completed during the first semester of enrollment upon your return to graduate studies.

If your native language is not English, you may need to provide a new TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB score.

If you are an international student applying for readmission, you must contact the Office of International Student Services (ISS) for immigration questions.

Office of International Student Services (ISS)

217 Armory and Gymnasium (Red Gym)
716 Langdon Street
Madison, WI 53706, USA


Feedback, questions or accessibility issues:
© 2018 Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System