Financial Aid

The Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) assists students whose personal and family resources are not adequate to cover the expenses involved in attending the UW–Madison. The office also provides counseling to help students manage their money effectively, information on other potential sources of financial assistance (such as employment), debt management counseling, and small short-term loans for emergency situations. Capstone Certificates (post-baccalaureate level) are not eligible for any federal financial aid but may be eligible for private student loans. Visit the OSFA Graduate Students webpage for additional information.

Emergency short-term loans are available to qualified students experiencing an unanticipated financial crisis. Students may contact the Dean of Students Office or the Office of Student Financial Aid for more information about these loans. To be considered for a short-term loan, students must be currently enrolled, complete a short-term loan application, and meet with an assistant dean in the Division of Student Life or with a financial aid counselor in the Office of Student Financial Aid. Students enrolled in graduate programs in Agriculture, Pharmacy, Human Ecology, Engineering, or Law must apply for short-term loans through their respective school rather than the Office of Student Financial Aid.

For loan deferral information and additional information regarding financial aid for graduate students, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid.

See Enrollment RequirementsFellowshipsProject or Program Assistant (PA)Research Assistant (RA)Teaching Assistant (TA)Traineeships