Grade Change

Grade changes originate with the instructor of the course. The instructor submits a grade change through the MyUW Faculty Center. Instructions are available through the Office of the Registrar’s Grading FAQ webpage. If the change cannot be completed via the online system, the instructor submits a paper Grade Change Form, and the program chair signs and submits it to the Graduate School Office of Academic Services.

While changes from Incomplete or Progress to a final grade are routine and raise no questions, changes from one final grade to another are more serious matters. Doing extra work to improve a final grade is not allowed. Faculty legislation states that final grades can be changed only because of clerical error. Once an instructor announces course grades, a decision to re-evaluate the coursework for all or some of the students breaks faith with those students. The university’s primary concern is that all students in a course are treated consistently and fairly when assigned final grades.