We can help. Call us.
Fall 2017 New Graduate Student Welcome
Wednesday, August 30, 2017
Union South, 2nd Floor
The Graduate School invites all newly admitted graduate students to attend the Fall New Graduate Student Welcome event (see schedule below). Don’t miss this opportunity to mingle with Graduate School deans and staff and other campus leaders, hear from a panel of current students about grad student life, learn about the many campus and community resources available to you, and meet other new graduate students from across campus. An email invitation with registration link will be sent to each newly admitted grad student at the end of July. We hope you will join us.
Additional events and activities for grad students will be scheduled during the entire Welcome Week (August 28-September 1). Information for all of these events will be posted here, so check back!
TENTATIVE Welcome Schedule - August 30, 2017
11:00 am Fellows Meeting* (Location TBD)
11:00 am-1:00 pm Check-In 2nd Floor Lobby in front of Varsity Hall I
11:00 am-1:00 pm Resource Fair Varsity Hall II
Representatives from more than 40 campus and community services answer your questions and provide assistance. Visit their tables and talk in person with informative individuals.
11:45 am & 12:30 pm Information Session: Research, Funding & Professional Development The Marquee
NOTE: Both 35-minute sessions have the same content, so plan to attend either at 11:30 or at 12:15.
Learn more about important resources for graduate students at UW-Madison. Hear directly from staff about the ways their offices can help you find and apply for funding, use databases and other tools to gather information related to your research, write better and smarter, and develop your professional and career-related plans and skills. Presenters include:
- Office of Professional Development, Graduate School
- Writing Center
- Libraries and Grants Information Collection
- Office of Diversity, Inclusion, and Funding, Graduate School
- Division of Information Technology (DoIT) and Software Training for Students (STS)
- University Health Services (UHS) End Violence on Campus
1:15 pm-2:15 pm Graduate Student Panel: Question & Answer Session The Marquee and Varsity Hall I
A panel of seasoned graduate students will answer the large and small questions you have about everything from what can make your graduate student life easier and less stressful to establishing and maintaining relationships with faculty and staff in your program.
2:30 pm-3:00 pm Welcome Remarks Varsity Hall I, II and III
Campus leadership will welcome graduate students and kick off the reception.
- Dean of the Graduate School, Bill Karpus
- Provost, Sarah Mangelsdorf
- Vice Provost and Chief Diversity Officer, Patrick Sims
- Dean of Students, Lori Berquam
3:00 pm-4:30 pm Meet & Greet Reception Varsity Hall I, II and III
Enjoy refreshments at this informal reception as you get to know people from the Graduate School, from your own program, and from across campus.
* Information for Fellows: This session is specifically designed for new graduate students who have fellowships in the 2017-2018 academic year. Information will be provided about the rights and responsibilities you have as fellows. Topics will include: your pay schedule, tuition and seg fees, health insurance eligibility, full-time study and satisfactory progress, income tax issues, concurrent appointments, and funding beyond the fellowship years.