Edward Alexander Bouchet Graduate Honor Society
We can help. Call us.
One national charter with two chapters was inaugurated by Yale University and Howard University on September 15, 2005, in commemoration of Dr. Bouchet's birthday. The University of Wisconsin–Madison Graduate School formed a chapter in 2010. Each year, the Graduate School sponsors a limited number of graduate students and postdoctoral researchers to become members of the national Bouchet Society. Meet our previous UW–Madison inductees by following the links on the left-hand side of the page.
The 2017 Bouchet selection process is now closed for self-nominations. All Ph.D. students who reach dissertator status by Spring 2017 and postdoctoral researchers will be eligible to nominate themselves for consideration as 2017 inductees as long as they exemplify the five Bouchet qualities. These self-nominations must include the following:
- Short Statements (6, limit of 250 words each)—indicate (1) how you embody each of the five Bouchet qualities and (2) how membership in the Bouchet Graduate Honor Society will benefit your academic/professional goals
- Current Resume/CV
- One letter of recommendation from each of the following people:
- The nominee's faculty research advisor at UW–Madison.
- A leader, on campus or elsewhere, with knowledge of the nominee's leadership, character, service, or advocacy qualities.
- A 250–500 word abstract (including purpose and background, methods, results, conclusions), single-spaced, 11- or 12-point font. For graduate students, the Submission Abstract form must be signed off by a faculty advisor who has reviewed the abstract, and it must include the title of the project, author name(s) and institutional affiliations. The Graduate School will use this abstract to submit your proposal to present at the Annual Yale Bouchet Conference on Diversity and Graduate Education.
- A 250-word biographical sketch, emphasizing your research and publications.
- November 1, 2016: Self-nomination application available online
- January 12, 2017: Deadline to submit nomination materials
- February 2017: Announcement of UW–Madison 2017 Bouchet Inductees
- March 14, 2017: UW–Madison Induction Ceremony
- April 7-8, 2017: Bouchet National Induction Ceremony and Annual Conference at Yale University
Inductees are expected to attend the UW–Madison Induction Ceremony and present at the Annual Conference at Yale (travel will be covered by the Graduate School).