University Special Student Status

Students enrolled as University Special students are considered non-degree candidates and pay tuition and fees at the designated special student rate. See the Transfer Credits for Prior Coursework policy for information on how limited credits taken as a University Special Student may be accepted by a graduate program. Students are not allowed to simultaneously enroll as a graduate student and as a University Special student.

Before beginning a graduate program, an international student may choose to study full-time English as a University Special student on an F-1 visa granted through the ESL program or on a J-1 visa with the sponsor’s approval. When the student begins a graduate program, the student’s status will be changed from University Special student to graduate student.

For more information visit the Adult Career and Special Student Services website or contact them at