Conference Presentation Funds
Do you need financial support to present your research at a conference? If so, apply for Conference Presentation Funds! The 2017-18 competition is now open and applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until April 30, 2018 with multiple review deadlines. Funding for this competition generously comes from WARF and the Vilas Trust.
Please note: due to a large number of applications and limited funds, only dissertators in a graduate program or final-year MFA students are eligible to apply for the Conference Presentation Fund awards.
For the 2017-18 conference travel competition award levels are: $300, $600, and $1200. Awards are available to dissertators and final-year MFA students only. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until April 30, 2018 when the competition closes. Applications that do not fully comply with the submission requirements will not be considered. Applications may be submitted either prior to travel or after travel, as long as all necessary paperwork is submitted at the time of application and all eligibility requirements are met. Applicants are typically notified of acceptance no more than a month after the reviewing deadline. There are five reviewing deadlines for this year:
|Applications Submitted By:||Review Will Begin On:|
|July 1- September 30,2017||August 1, 2017|
|October 31, 2017||November 1, 2017|
|December 31, 2017||January 2, 2018|
|February 28, 2018||March 1, 2018|
|April 30, 2018||May 2, 2018|
To be eligible for the Conference Travel Award you need to meet the following criteria:
- Must be enrolled at UW-Madison as a dissertator in a graduate program or a final-year MFA student.
- Must be traveling to present research (e.g., paper, poster) at a conference (domestically or internationally).
- Conference start date must fall within the current fiscal year (between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018). Students intending to travel after July 1, 2018 will not be considered for awards until the 2018-19 competition is announced.
- Must demonstrate need for at least $300 or more (in addition to any outside funding you might be receiving for the same conference presentation event) by filling out an Estimated Budget Form. While filling out the budget form, please keep in mind the UW System travel policies as well as these competition-specific policies:
- We require all award recipients to submit proof of travel before we can process the award check. Recipients must provide receipts for all major travel-related expenses. The receipts must total at least the amount of funding awarded ($300, $600, $1200).
- The per diem for food is based on your location and travel dates. Food costs can be included in your budget according to UW–Madison travel policies. If some or all meals are included in the conference fee, those meals must be deducted from your per diem.
- If you are sharing a hotel room only claim the amount that you will be spending on the room, not the entire cost.
- Note: A calculator to help you plan your lodging and food budgets is available on UW TravelWIse. A print out of this calculation should be submitted as part of your receipts documentation.
- Students may not receive Student Research Grant funds more than once in the fiscal year, which is from July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017 (this includes both Conference Presentation Funds and the Research Travel Awards).
Prepare the following documents:
- Proof of acceptance to present at the conference (e.g., letter of paper/poster acceptance, conference program where you are listed as a presenter). Please highlight the portion of the document which lists you as a presenter if it is not immediately apparent. This document must show that you are presenting a paper or poster, not simply attending the conference. This document must be submitted in the application as a PDF file, with your name included as part of the file name (ex: LastName_FirstName_Acceptance.pdf).
- Abstract of paper or poster to be presented. This document must be submitted in the application as a PDF file, with your name included as part of the file name (ex: LastName_FirstName_Abstract.pdf).
- An estimated budget form that includes all outside funding sources (if any) and shows that at least $300 of additional funding is needed. Please be accurate in your estimations and keep in mind the UW System travel policies. The budget form you will use is in the online application as well as instructions on the process to get your advisor’s approval.
- Complete and submit the electronic application by any of the posted reviewing deadlines. Late and/or incomplete applications and/or applications that do not comply with the above specifications will be immediately rejected.
- This competition follows UW-Madison travel guidelines and policies. You are strongly encouraged to familiarize yourself with UW-Madison travel policies and also arrange your airline travel through the UW System’s managed travel program website. Please work with your advisor and program staff as appropriate to use this resource. A calculator to help you plan your lodging and food budgets is also available on that site.
- International Students with Non-Resident Alien Status: if you are selected as a Conference Presentation Fund recipient, you may need to submit additional documentation before you can receive the funding. The process you will need to follow will be based on whether you have already held an appointment at UW–Madison:
- Have already held an appointment—the Glacier system through the UW–Madison HR Office will follow-up with you to determine if you need to submit additional documentation
- Have not held any appointment—the Graduate School Payroll Coordinator will send you a letter requesting a W-4 form and a direct deposit form before your information is forwarded to the UW–Madison HR Office
- All recipients must submit proof of financial need totaling at least the amount of the award ($300,$600) before checks can be dispersed. This documentation should not be submitted with your application.